What legal action can I take if I was exposed to benzene from my town's water supply?

Related Ads


I grew up in a town that was home to many manufacturing and industrial companies.  Throughout my life, I have been drinking the tap water there.  Recently, my doctor informed me that I had several toxins in the body, including high levels of benzene.  What legal action can I take?



In areas where there are a large number of industrial or manufacturing companies, the potential for benzene exposure is increased.  In the past, there have been many reports of accidental spills of carcinogens and illegal dumping by these companies.  Also, benzene may leak from underground storage tanks or from hazardous waste sites which cause the contamination of well water.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is a government organization that is responsible in monitoring and analyzing the environment, conduct research, and work closely with state and local governments to devise pollution control policies.  They have set the maximum permissible level of benzene in drinking water at 0.005 milligrams per liter (0.005 mg/L).  If you suspect that there potential harmful toxins in your water supply, you may contact the EPA for further investigation.

To learn more about your legal rights, it would be best to consult with an Environmental Lawyer to determine the best course of action.  If the manufacturing company is found negligent through a civil action in court, you may receive monetary damages such as compensation for medical bills, loss of earning potential from your illness, and pain and suffering.

This article is provided for informational purposes only. If you need legal advice or representation,
click here to have an attorney review your case .